A wonderful hike along Havel river through Grunewald, Germanys biggest city forest.
- Read something about the very moved history of the beautiful island of Schwanenwerder at the entrance of the island.
- On the island, during Nazi era, Goebbels, Speer and other leaders “bought” – for more or less symbolic prices – Villas from Jews.
- In 1933 when the first edition of Monopoly appeared in Germany, the most expensive road wasn’t Schloßstrasse like it is today but Inselstrasse, upon which Goebbels banned the game.
- Maybe you can have a cappuccino in one of the sailing clubs overviewing the Havel. But at the end it’s Berlin. You never know before trying 🙂
- Gaze at the other shore of Havel river trough Großes Fenster and have a look at Grunewalds oldest oak tree in the garden of the lifesavers station.
- If you do it in summer, bring insect repellent.
- The only downer is that you will always hear some slight traffic noises even when already in dense underbrush. But man, you’re still in the city! What do you want?
Location: Strandbad Wannsee – crossing Inselstraße to Schwanenwerder – along Havel – Großes Fenster – Havelhöhenweg – Havelberg – E-Gestell – back to Strandbad Wannsee / Distance: 10,5 km / from city center: 20 km / South West / Weather: 22 °C, sunny and a little cloudy / Camera: Nikon D90, 35 mm lens
Sorry, the recording didn’t work between Schwanenwerder and Großes Fenster. You’ll find the old oak tree approximately where the red line begins and crosses the green line.