There is always this possibility that I’ll find the perfect shoes!
With this mantra I went into shoe shopping again and I had some conditions in advance: I was at the research for light (yeah, not ultralight) boots because I had this not so good experience last year in the mountains with my trail runners and I wanted leather boots because it’s comfy and I’m still convinced that leather is giving me the best foot climate. And I don’t want to look on my feet all the time and be over-careful. That’s my reason for boots.
I have a two-weeks through-hike in spain ahead of me and I want to be sure to choose wisely.
The Lowa Wendelstein are …
- … very light for a leather boot (1031g/pair/41)
- … rather narrow and with that they should have been perfect for my narrow foot
- … beautiful. With their proportions, the brown leather and the red shoelaces they look just like my imagination of classic hiking boots grandpa style.
- … made in Germany
- … a wonderful piece of craftsmanship
- The sole is rather stiff and the cushioning is less than average.
- The sole has an excellent grip.
- My size is 40 and I chose the 41. I put my orthopedic insoles inside and they are slightly thicker than the original soft leather surfaced insoles. My toes have enough space on the top and in the front.
- The break-in is very long.
Finally I decided to go with my La Sportiva Core Highs (and get to know the Lowas better when I come back) because of trust issues:
- I’m not sure how long the break-in will take. Until this moment I have the problem of a very aching little toe after 15 kms. But I think this will be better when the leather gets smoother with time. I don’t want to risk Cinderella-like foot pain.
- and because of better cushioning
Data Lowa Wendelstein:
|kind of shoe||mid-height leather hiking boot|
|top||full leather, interior leather|
|break-in||Very long, haven’t finished yet|
|waterproof||If you grease them well|
|marketing promises||Perfect mix between traditional craftsmanship and Innovation|
Evaluation Lowa Wendelstein:
|tested for||50 km|
(seams great, but I did not test it long enough)
|toebox||normal to narrow width|