In 1932 Mies van der Rohe designed this masterpiece of classical modernism for Martha and Karl Lemke as a residence for the art enthusiastic and modern architecture loving couple. They lived there until 1945 when the Red Army seized it and used it as a garage. From 1960 to 1977 the East German secret police used it for various purposes, in 1977 someone obviously realized its value and it was protected by the East Berlin Magistrate. From 2000 until 2002 a complete restoration of the house according to historic plans was performed. Find more information here.